What resources are there in school to support my child?

There are many ways of supporting students with disability in Catholic schools. If necessary, adjustments will be made through the curriculum, the classroom environment, teaching materials and the school environment. Professional development is available for staff also. A school may receive a grant to support students depending on the students' needs in accessing the curriculum.

How will the school be able to meet my child’s educational needs?

Integrating a student with disability is a whole school responsibility not just that of an individual class teacher or special education teacher. Every student will be able to participate in all aspects of school with adjustments being made to the curriculum and the environment.
Relevant school staff will discuss your child’s educational needs with you and discuss any adjustments that may be needed to assist your child. The adjustments could be in relation to a course or program, or to facilities or services. 
Your child would also have an Individual Education Plan/Program (IEP) or a Curriculum Adjusted Plan (CAP). These plans/programs are developed and implemented with your input.

A child’s educational need can be met in schools by:

  • The development of Individual Education Plans and Programs / Curriculum Adjustment Plans/Transition Plans

  • Adjustments being made to curriculum, environment, materials

  • Collaboration between agencies working with the student

  • Accessing existing support programs within the school

  • Allocating resources required, specialised equipment, teaching assistants.

What Catholic school can my child go to?

Enrolment in a Catholic school is dependent on availability but you can enrol your child at a Catholic school of your choice. Early enrolment is important.
Primary school students can start school in the 3-year-old-program, if available, Kindergarten or Pre-Primary. Secondary school begins at year 7.

Will my child be safe and cared for at school?

Every child has the right to feel safe at school. Once your child is enrolled in a Catholic school a meeting will take place to consider the needs of your child and any concerns that you may have. The discussion may be about health issues, medication, transition, curriculum, social issues and any other concern that affects the education of the child. 
Effective communication between families and school staff is important for the continuing welfare considerations of the student.  Students with a health or medical condition will have an action plan that will have been developed collaboratively with family and educators.  All staff at WA Catholic schools have ‘Working with Children” clearances.

How will the school be able to meet my child’s educational needs?

Your child’s educational needs with be met through the curriculum that has been specifically developed to meet the needs of the student. For example, in career education, work skills, leisure and recreation and independent living.

What help is available from external agencies?

There is a variety of organisations available to provide support to children with disability and their families. Your local GP, Community Health Nurse and the State Child Development Centre or the appropriate disability agency are initial contacts if you believe your child needs some assistance.
Access to a therapy service is provided for most children with disability and this is managed by a variety of agencies. Therapists provide support by working with your child, the teacher and the teaching assistants to help ensure that your child receives the best access to the school curriculum.

Further Information